What counts as a psychiatric emergency?
Several behaviors and thought patterns can be signs of major psychiatric emergencies that can be harmful for oneself and to others. The common psychiatric problems that demand immediate attention are:
- Constant suicidal tendencies and repeated attempts to commit one
- Purposefully harming oneself
- Giving away treasured things
- Making a hasty decision
- Cutting oneself deliberately
- Displaying violent behavior towards family members or others
- Destroying property, household belongings
- Threatening others verbally or with a weapon
- Acute stress reaction
- Alcohol or substance abuse
- Experiencing hallucinations
- Experiencing dementia or epilepsy
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorder
- Severe depression
- Mental confusion
- Displaying withdrawal symptoms that come with drug addiction
- Acting out in peculiar ways
- Losing touch with reality
- Experiencing, seeing, hearing things that are not real
Emergencies for different age groups:
Psychological problems often experienced after the age of 50 include illnesses like depression that affect nearly 20% of seniors. It is also seen in over 50% of individuals at the age of 75. They may also complain about medically unexplained body issues like chronic pain in certain parts of the body, fatigue, and others. Sleep disturbances, poor appetite, feeling bored easily, trouble concentrating, and restlessness are common among numerous other issues.
It’s important to know how to manage the circumstances whenever these emergency behaviors show up. Tips to manage these emergencies include:
- Being aware of the warning signs
- Ensure the individual’s safety
- Consider suicidal threats seriously
- Don’t leave alcohol or drugs within the individual’s reach
- Monitor the intake of prescribed medications
- Don’t keep harmful objects or weapons within the individual’s reach
- Avoid leaving the person alone
The Need for Emergency Psychiatric Treatment
Emergency psychiatric treatment is absolutely necessary to address several acts of violent behavior and dangerous behavior that can harm the individual and others. These also include addictive behaviors, mania, depression, and unrealistic thoughts and fancies. Highly-qualified physicians, psychiatrists, experienced clinical psychologists, and qualified nursing staff offer extensive treatment procedures in a stimulating environment to get to the root of the problem.
Since all acts, thoughts, and behaviors are life-threatening, the therapies involved are complex; they provide complete assistance in curbing the attitudes and promoting positive thinking and induce favorable behavior to perform normally. This involves performing an accurate diagnosis of the condition in a specific time and administering the right treatment without much delay.
The diagnosis and treatment is more complex due to the fact that emergencies can be anything other than those mentioned here. There’s no specific type of stereotyped emergency and calls for continuous research and monitoring.
Cadabam’s Exclusive and Comprehensive Crisis Care
Rely on Cadabam’s comprehensive spectrum of mental health services that is updated with the latest treatment methods and revolutionary counseling procedures. The one-of-a-kind evidence-based therapies are administered to help individuals realize the effects of their mental health conditions and take definitive steps to eliminate them. Round the clock support and immediate response is offered to individuals seeking medical treatment and also to those in need of emergency medical care for mental health.
The most exclusive psychiatric emergency services are available 24/7, and these include:
- Emergency consultation and crisis intervention
- Mobile outreach and in-home assessment followed by treatment
- GPS-enabled ambulance service
- In-patient and outpatient services
- Intensive day care and treatment
- Psychiatric evaluation
Cadabam’s Hospitals is one of the leading mental health care, psycho-social rehabilitation centers. For more than three decades, we have helped countless people with their different mental health issues. Our multispecialty team consists of experienced psychiatrists, counselors, psychologists, and other specialists who work together to deliver the best treatment and provide you with excellent personalized experience. At Cadabam’s Hospitals, we care for you. Contact us today for more information. Call us at +91 97414 76476 and take the first step towards ASD Treatment.
What qualifies as a psychiatric problem?
Psychiatric disabilities tend to cover many conditions, this includes eating disorders, anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and so on. It’s important to get a diagnosis and treatment from a trained medical professional, and not to self-diagnose/treat yourself.
What is considered as a psychiatric emergency?
A psychiatric emergency is when an individual is experiencing acute changes in their behavior/personality, moods or thoughts. If this condition is left untreated or ignored, it can get severe with time and can lead to dire consequences to the person’s health.
What are some common examples of psychiatric emergencies?
Conditions that come under psychiatric emergency include:
- Attempted suicide
- Substance abuse
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Acute depression
- Delusional behavior
- Panic attacks
- Intense and frequent mood swings