What is long-term rehabilitation at Cadabams?
Major psychiatric illnesses like Schizophrenia, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, personality disorders, and more sometimes result in severe disability and impairment. Individuals with these disorders have trouble continuing their education, employment, and other daily activities. In some severe cases, the individuals may become a threat to themselves and the people around them. Rehabilitation is the only treatment option that can help in recovery in such cases.
Further, individuals with such psychiatric illnesses can in some cases need continued care over a longer period. We, at Cadabams, understand this and towards this end, we have carefully crafted a long-term rehabilitation program that helps individuals improve their functioning while they are fighting the various symptoms of their disorder.
What does the program involve?
- Activities of Daily Living: Individuals facing psychiatric illnesses over a longer period face significant impairment and disability. This significantly impedes their ability to engage in activities necessary to manage their daily life. One of the goals of long-term rehabilitation at Cadabam’s is to help individuals regain independence in their activities of daily living. This includes managing their personal hygiene, sticking to a routine, and more.
- Individuals take part in activities in groups. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Motivation Enhancement Therapy, Reel Therapy, Guided Imagery, Therapeutic Yoga, Art, and Movement Therapy, and Music Therapy are examples of group treatments. These group treatments assist the individual in regaining social skills and developing healthy coping mechanisms in the face of their disease.
- Constant and Continued Care: Over a long period, psychiatric illnesses render a person in need of continuous assistance for their day-to-day activities. The long-term rehabilitation program at Cadabam’s ensures that individuals receive expert round-the-clock care as they focus on fighting their disorder.
- Supported Living and Employment: Cadabams has pioneered supported living and employment programs to help individuals who are fighting long-term psychiatric illnesses. Through the supported living program, we encourage individuals to conduct certain activities of daily living independently, while through the supported employment program we help individuals remain meaningfully employed under supervision as they pursue recovery from mental health disorders.
How does this program ensure effective and sustainable recovery?
- The long-term rehabilitation program at Cadabams goes beyond ensuring basic symptom relief and ensures that individuals learn how to cope with these symptoms over a longer period.
- The program is recovery-oriented and ensures that the individual learns healthy coping mechanisms and resilience towards the disorder.
- The program focuses on reversing the effects of the disorder and ensures that any disability that is there doesn’t progress further. It helps the individuals work around their disabilities and regain their daily functioning abilities.
- The program ensures that individuals receive continued care and assistance even when family support and social support may decline through associated programs like supported employment.
- Through multiple therapies, both individual and group, it helps individuals regain their independence and helps them rebuild their social skills with other members of the Cadabams Community.
- With effective family therapy and regular family visits, it helps the individual remain connected with the family and helps the family too understand the disorder and their loved one better.