Cadabam’s rehab center is the revolutionary mental health services provider that takes a decisive approach to treat depression by addressing the root causes. The state-of-the-art rehabilitation center works with a network of dynamic mental health professionals who combine extensive knowledge and years of experience to offer impeccable treatment and post-treatment services to their patients. This guide is curated by our psychologists to help you understand manic depression and the treatment modalities for the condition.
Mania and Depression – Bipolar Disorder
Mania and depression still go hand in hand since bipolar depression was once known as manic depression. This manic depressive disorder is a major affective or mood disorder accompanied by manic and hypomanic episodes that fluctuate in a continuous cycle. It’s a serious condition that causes severe impairment in several walks of life and the depressive episodes are more devastating and a real challenge to treat compared to manic and hypomanic episodes.
The condition is also called bipolar disorder that causes a person to experience extreme variations in thoughts, mood, and behavior. While some individuals predominantly experience depressive state, others primarily experience manic phases. Yet other groups of individuals experience both stages simultaneously.
Manic Depressive Disorder Symptoms
The leading manic depression symptoms that cause severe impairment in daily life and need immediate attention to avoid worsening of the condition include:
- Constantly feeling worthless or experiencing a feeling of emptiness most of the time
- Significant changes in behavior that cause disruptions in personal and professional spheres
- Loss of interest in activities once enjoyed
- Extreme low energy levels accompanied by fatigue
- Being restless and/or feeling irritated for most of the time
- Finding it extremely difficult or impossible to concentrate and make decisions
- Significant changes in sleeping habits, including insomnia or excessive sleeping
- Thoughts and attempts of suicide and death
- Overconfidence and unrealistic beliefs and expectations about one’s abilities
- Indulging in high-risk behaviors or activities like impulsive gambling, unsafe sex, etc.
Mania vs Hypomania – A Snippet
These two symptoms are the most common among the signs of manic depression. While mania is a mood disorder that makes an individual abnormally energized with excessive amounts of joy and enthusiasm, hypomania is a less severe form of mania where you feel good due to more energy that is within control. If you’re suffering from bipolar disorder, hypomania can translate into mania.
Types of Bipolar Disorder
- Bipolar 1 that involves manic and depressive episodes of varying length
- Bipolar 2 where the manic episodes are much lesser
- Cyclothymia is characterized by chronic episodes of hypomania and depression that last for a couple of years
- Mixed episodes that involves a combined effect of mania and depression simultaneously
- Rapid cycling is the most severe type of bipolar disorder displaying several episodes of mania and depression within a year
Risk Factors of Bipolar Disorder
- Genetic factors increase the risk of developing BD by 80%
- Chemical imbalances in the brain
- Environmental factors
Treatment for Manic Depression
Manic depression treatment options include:
- Psychoeducation that helps you understand the disease and the difficulties that come along
- Cognitive behavioral therapy that focuses on altering thought patterns to change the behavior and induce positive thinking skills
- Interpersonal & social rhythm therapy to help manage conflicts and induce positive communication skills. Social rhythm therapy stabilizes sleep patterns, stress, and other activities
- Family therapy to educate the family members about the disorder and create a positive and supportive environment
- Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) – rTMS is a popular procedure that is used to treat depression and usually chosen after both medication and psychotherapy have failed.
- Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) – ECT is among the safest and most effective brain stimulation techniques. ECT is mostly used for patients with severe depression or bipolar disorder, who do not respond to the medications anymore.
Rehabilitation for Bipolar Disorder
Apart from medications and therapies, rehabilitation also forms a part of the most effective treatment for bipolar disorder. It includes residential rehabilitation as well as follow-on care and counselling.
Residential rehab centres provide a live-in facility to an individual while receiving care. Many rehab centres conduct group therapy or family programs along with individual therapy. Rehabilitation centers offer a number of advantages such as.
Holistic Treatment: It facilitates wholesome treatment with professional assistance including medication, cognitive behaviour therapy, psychotherapy, biofeedback, etc. They offer varied programs revolving around healing anxiety, managing stress, learning codependency, enhance coping skills among other benefits
Monitoring: The trained staff can help regulate daily medication, therapy sessions, sleep schedules, etc., to establish a normal routine.
Rehab ensures a 24/7 medical supervision while receiving treatment. Constant supervision allows close monitoring of patient’s condition, symptoms, progress and suggests quick modifications in treatment if needed
Prevention of Relapse: Continued therapy helps avoid any chance of a relapse as a result of discontinuing medicines. The coping strategies and skills learned at therapy can help the patient throughout life.
Build a support network: Rehabilitation centres also offer and create a solid support system for many individuals suffering from the same mental disorder and are seeking therapy.
They aim to provide stabilization programs to keep an individual motivated to continue the treatment with as little disruption as possible for a healthy life.
Cadabam’s is a renowned psychiatric rehabilitation and recovery center that offers comprehensive treatment packages for several mental health conditions. The standout features and facilities include:
- A multidisciplinary team that provides round-the-clock assistance and customized care with a one-on-one attention
- Comprehensive detoxification programs
- Psychotherapy sessions to address emotional and behavioral issues
- All-inclusive aftercare services to provide enhanced support
- Modern and serene living spaces with Yoga, nutrition, and recreational activities to aid in holistic recovery