Alcohol addiction one of the most common mental health disorder in urban as well as rural areas. The journey towards quitting alcohol requires strength and resilience, right from the initial decision to quit and throughout the whole process.
It is not only the nature of the addiction that makes the journey harder but also the support you get when on the journey. Controlling cravings are one of the most difficult stages of recovery.
To reduce these craving experts have given various tips and activities to engage in. But one of the most effective among them is to provide the body with particular minerals and vitamins. How does this work? Adding specific food in your diet can lead to 3 things that can help reduce alcohol cravings or even help in quitting alcohol addiction:
- Improve digestion: An improved digestion enhances the level of amino acids, minerals, and vitamins. All these play an important role in reducing cravings.
- Regulates blood sugar: When the blood sugar is steady, it normalizes leptin and insulin. These are hormones that are responsible for hunger.
- Brings changes in brain chemicals: Lean protein gives way to an optimal level of brain chemicals associated with light and better feelings. This improves the mood and there are lesser cravings.
Foods to help reducing alcohol cravings or for quitting alcohol
- Spinach: Specifically raw spinach, as the amino acid that is required breaks down when cooked. These contain the amino acid that plays an important role in decreasing anxiety and decreases cravings.
- Peanut butter: Peanut butter contains particular amino acid that is necessary for producing dopamine. It is known to enhance mood and well-being feelings.
- Salmon: Salmon contains vitamin D and Protein, They stabilize mood and decreases depression.
- Organic yogurt and walnuts: Especially plain organic yogurt, these contain probiotics that improve digestion. They also contain vitamin D and calcium. Walnuts contain antioxidants and protein.
- Bananas: Bananas have B vitamins that enhance the production of serotonin, which is a different brain chemical that associated with reducing anxiety and depression.
- Whole grain bread: Whole grain bread contains carbohydrates that slowly metabolizes, thus killing sugar cravings.
Along with these other ways to reduce cravings are also effective. Such as exercise and sweating, these activities tend to lighten the mood and give a good feeling. Engaging in a particular activity or hobby also helps in keeping the individual busy distracting them from cravings.
Approaching for a professional help
When you or your loved one fails to handle your alcohol intake then it is advisable you seek a professional help. Cadabam’s Anunitha is a drug and alcohol rehabilitation centres which provide best rehabilitation facility for your close one to overcome their drinking problem.