The National Council on Sexual Addiction and Compulsivity has defined sexual addiction as “engaging in persistent and escalating patterns of sexual behavior acted out despite increasing negative consequences to self and others.” Sex and sexual thoughts control a person’s cognitive ability; making it hard to work or connect into healthy relationships, keep on engaging in certain sexual practices regardless of confronting potential financial issues, health related risks, broken relationships etc.
Different types of sexual addiction:
- Compulsive masturbation
- Voyeurism/ Exhibition
- Cyber sex
- Sadistic or masochistic behavior
- Excessive sexual pursuits
Having an understanding can help you in contrasting sex compulsion with different types of other practices; for example, alcohol or other elicit drugs. In spite of the fact that there are no substances, for example, cocaine or alcohol; certain chemicals are released in brain during the act of sexual practices that make a similar kind of “high” feeling as addictive substances. It is these emotions of feeling “high” that get to distinctly addictive.
As opposed to enjoying sex as a self-confirming source of physical pleasure, the sex addict has figured out how to depend on sex from comforting him or her from pain, encouraging or helping to relieve stress, etc. The way a drug addict depends on drugs or alcoholic depends on alcohol, a sex addict depends on sex. It is significant to note that this doesn’t imply that just because a person feels euphoric after sex or some other sexual behavior he or she is an addict.
Risk factor: The individual may have emotional problems like depression, anxiety, and genetic factors that influences to have sexual addiction.
A sex addict does not essentially become a sex offender. Also, not all sex offenders are sex addicts. Approximately 55% of criminal sex offenders can consider sex addicts. Regarding 71% of child molesters are sex addicts.
Signs and symptoms:
- Often engaged in more sex and with multiple partners than intended.
- Persistently craving sex or preoccupied with sexual thoughts.
- Unsuccessful to limited sexual activities.
- Thoughts about sex disturb other day today activities or frequent engaging in excessive sexual practices.
- Neglecting commitments such as work, school or family in pursuit of sex.
- Spending a lot of time in activities related to sex, like watching pornography websites.
- Constantly involving in sexual activity in spite of negative result, such as relationship and health related problems arises.
- Increased scope of sexual activity to obtain the desired effect, for example visit prostitutes or multiple sex partners.
Note: At least three of the above criteria are required to suffer from a sexual addiction.
Sexual activity is unlike and a basic need. Similar to eating, having sex is needed for human survival. Though some individuals abstain from marriage (religious purpose), some not by the choice, healthy people have strong desire for sex. Decreased interest in sex can show a medical issue or mental health illness.
Sexual addiction treatments consist of counseling for individual, Cognitive Behavior Therapy, marital and/or family therapy, support groups, 12-step recovery programs, and in some cases, medications. Do not suffer in silence, get help, call us now on +9611194949.