Have you ever shown up at your workplace in a hungover state? Probably yes. Drinking once in a blue moon with your colleagues is fine, but if it starts affecting your mindset, your work, and disturbs your workplace environment, then it’s time to step back and reflect upon your actions.
According to one of the studies conducted by NDDTC, AIIMS, New Delhi, nearly 8.5 lakh people in India suffer from drug addiction and alcohol addiction problems while being employed.
Surprising isn’t it?
Through this guide, we aim to make you understand how to prevent substance abuse in the workplace, the different drug abuse policies for the workplace, how you can identify abuse in employees as well as why Cadabam’s Hospital is best for drug addiction treatment.
With over two decades of experience, Cadabam’s Hospital is a pioneer known for providing its patients a personalized 24/7 medical care in conjunction with plethora of treatment plans for drug addiction and other substance abuse disorders. Our multidisciplinary team of experts after analyzing your symptoms recommend the best treatment plan that suits your needs and ensuring that your recovery takes place in a holistic environment.
How to identify drug abuse in employees?
Are you one of those leaders who’s always worried about your team’s performance and suspect that one of your work members is abusing drugs? If yes, then keep a tab if any of your colleague is showing the following drug addict signs:
- Feeling exhausted at all times and falling asleep at work
- Committing a lot of silly mistakes
- Vanishing to the back alley or washroom frequently in lieu of taking drugs
- Frequently missing office without prior notification, project deadlines, and appointments
- Abrupt mood swings
- Unable to concentrate and memory retention issues
- Lack of personal hygiene
If you’re noticing any of the aforementioned red flags in your co-workers, you must let them know how it’s deteriorating their bodily function, waning out their performance, and making the effects of substance abuse at work become apparent.
Prevention of Drug Addiction:
Drug abuse at the workplace can hamper your business. Higher absenteeism, lower productivity, and other noticeable signs risk damaging your work culture at multiple levels. Thus, to ensure none of your team members are abusing drugs or any other substance at work, implement the below pointers and create a substance-free work environment for your workforce:
- The arrangements for the substance maltreatment in the working environment should be clarified in the norms of the association and how the association will treat these sorts of representatives.
- There ought to be composed strategy articulations, which the worker and the businesses know about.
- There can be a pre-work drug test and during business drug test-which can be a screening drug test and these are disclosed to the representatives well ahead of time.
- These approaches express the infringement of rules and the separate outcomes like compensation derivation, or even end.
- Preparing to the directors chiefs are very much aware of the organization’s arrangements, notices and facing unsuitable occupation execution to the laborers.
- Associations can give mental advising administrations to the representatives, not just for drug misuse rather for by and large prosperity.
Drug Addiction and Prevention Policies for Workplace: What You Must Know
Having a dedicated policy for drug abuse at your workplace helps a lot. If you’re considering creating a similar policy, you can consider including the following components:
- Your unacceptance against drugs usage while on the job
- Consequences if any member is found engaged in substance abuse
- Accurate information if your business offers treatment and rehab services
- If it’s allowed to consume any form of drugs during work parties or picnics
- Acknowledge the possibilities of encountering a positive drug test and that it’s treated in full confidentiality
How to Help Employees Get Treatment? – Best Practices Worth Trying
Hiring folks who abuse drugs frequently can bring catastrophic results on your business. One of the national surveys conducted by the Ministry for Social Justice and Empowerment, more than 5.4% of Indian population suffers from drug addiction which is surely alarming.
If you’re suspecting any of your coworkers are abusing drugs, try the following measures to help your member come back to being a productive employee and achieve satisfaction at work:
- Implementing comprehensive programs and policies within your workplace against drug usage.
- Educating them about the benefits of various treatment plans for drug addiction and prevention.
- Adopting fair employment practices, pursuing good management practices, and organizing work carefully can further minimize mental stress and create a healthy work environment.
- Ensure that you’re treating these employees in similar fashion like other members to avoid biasing. Giving them employee benefits like paid sick leave, annual leaves, etc. can further help.
Cadabam’s Hospital is a rehabilitation center that offers you the services of experienced doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists etc. who come with nearly two decades of experience and hold expertise in different disciplines of the medical domain. These professionals help you enroll in the right treatment program that’s designed to help eliminate the substance from your body and help you cope with the withdrawal symptoms.
Our mental health experts continuously encourage you to help fight drug addiction and avoid relapse. Counseling sessions offered by our experts help you develop various life skills and strengthen your interpersonal relationship with others in your vicinity.
FAQs on Drugs Abuse at Workplace: All Your Queries Answered
- Is it easy to get addicted to drugs?
Yes and No. It depends on a lot of factors like – your biology (genes, etc.), your age, gender, and others. While one individual can consume drugs multiple times and yet see no ill-effects, another individual can experience drug addiction symptoms right after the first use or after a few uses.
- Are there any treatment options available for drug abuse?
Yes, there are many treatment options available for prevention of drug addiction like behavioral therapies, medications, and more which have proven their effectiveness for treating drug abuse. The treatment of every individual is unique and depends on the type of drug(s) being consumed by them.
- How to prevent substance abuse in the workplace?
To give your employees a healthy environment and prevent drug abuse at your workplace, you must:
- Have a written policy stating guidelines for unacceptance to substance abuse
- Educate your employees against the consequences of consuming drugs regularly
- What happens if they are found abusing drugs or any substance and flouting the work policies
- Frequently perform drug testing on your workforce