Have you made up your mind to give up on alcohol? Then you are not alone. In India, it is estimated that there are about 14 million people who are alcohol addicts and are in the surge of help. To quit drinking is a good decision, but, the dark side is the fact that, it is hard. Rome wasn’t built in a day, so is the same when it comes to quitting drinking. It does take time for a person to quit drinking, meanwhile, all that is most important is to be patient.
Overcoming alcohol addiction is a bumpy and a long road. Most of the people do not transform their drinking habit overnight. Healing is a gradual process in cases of alcohol-related problems. Though it seems not to be an easy task, But yes, there are ways to help you out to quit drinking alcohol. Nowadays medical technologies and psychological counseling are benefitting more in overcoming the alcohol addiction. Below are some other approaches to help you or your family member or close friend in fighting alcohol addiction.
Effective Ways to Quit Drinking:
- Avoid drinking triggers: Triggers are the places or activities which increase the urge and cravings towards alcohol. Try to control your cravings for alcohol or possibly try to avoid them at the most. These triggers can be avoided by bringing in changes in your social life. Keep yourself away from distractions by making yourself busy like listening to music, going for a walk, eating, etc.
- Find a new meaning for life: Try to engage yourself in various social activities and in the things that could take you away from drinking. Take good care of yourself by developing healthy eating and exercising habits. Stay alcohol-free and prevent yourself from alcohol cravings and mood swings.
- Dilemma within you: You come across two people within yourself, when you think of quitting drinking. Your good half tells you to quit, while the selfish side tells you to remain the same. Try changing your attitude on quitting drinking. Tell your mind that you are getting rid of the enemy away from yourself, not a good friend.
- Decrease the level of alcohol intake: Gradually try to reduce the amount of alcohol you consume. This would be helpful in giving up alcohol.
- Develop a sober lifestyle: Consider going to places that help you to stay sober. Prefer to stay in an alcohol-free environment.
- Be Strong Minded: Expect and accept the setbacks you get in the process of quitting drinking; Do not let the feelings of blame, guilt, or shame keep you away from getting back on the track. These will pave the way to sobriety.
- Seek a Help: Get support or Consult your doctor or a psychiatrist for proper medical assistance.
In due course of quitting drinking, a person may encounter with various alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms are when a person develops a headache, sweating, depression, anxiety, nausea, etc.
Regaining one’s health from alcohol drinking habit could be much easier when there are people around who could support, guide and encourage you. This kind of support comes from friends and family members. But, in the worst case if the person is completely out of control, then it is advisable for him to undergo self-help programs & therapies, or go for a treatment-based approach. It is better to seek a psychological help or a medical treatment as well.
Rehabilitation programs as well play important role in helping overcome alcohol addiction. The rehab centers serve as a strong support network providing patient-focused structured treatment methods to quit drinking.
To know more about alcohol addiction problems, their effects, and treatments options, you can seek the best psychological assistance from our professionals. Call us now @+919611194949.