Drug Abuse Treatment
Drug abuse is a complex disorder. It develops over a period of time and thus requires a lot of effort and determination to recover. There are various treatment options available in different formats. All these vary depending on the severity of the drug abuse. Here let us look at the available treatment options:
Detoxification is a medical process through which the addictive substance is removed or drained from the individual’s body. Since this is a medical process it is supervised by a physician. The individual is give medications and fluids that enable a quicker removal of the substance. Detoxification only makes the individual prepared for the further treatment process and is not the end of the process. It slowly enables the individual’s body to function without the addictive substance.
Detoxification only addresses the biological aspect of the abuse. The psychosocial and behavioural aspect of the abuse is addressed through psychotherapy. There are various psychotherapies available, let us look at the ones that are prominently used:
- Cognitive behavioural therapy: This therapy aims to change the thinking patterns of the individual thus replacing the maladaptive thinking style with adaptive and useful thinking styles. The goal here is to change the behaviour via changing thinking style.
- Contingency Management Interventions: It is a behaviour therapy that aims to change behaviour by rewarding the individual whenever they exhibit the desired positive behaviour.
- Motivation enhancement therapy: Here the focus is on internally motivating the individual towards recovery. It involves various motivational interviews and feedback process that motivate the individual.
Formats of treatment:
There are three formats available.
- Long term programs: Here the individual is asked to stay in a residential place where the whole setting plays a role in the individual’s recovery process. These programs can take 6 to 12 months. The individual is provided 24 hours care by a professional team of psychologist, psychiatrist, nurse and a physician. All of them render their services when required.
- Short term programs: These kinds of programs are usually employed by most of rehabilitations. It is services provided are similar to the ones available in the long term programs, here the difference is that this program requires few weeks where the individual is an in-patient, later on they are treated on a out-patient format.
- Out-patient programs: Here the individual need not live in a therapeutic environment; they are required to meet the psychologist or psychiatrist on a weekly basis. This is applied on the patients who can somehow carry on their responsibilities despite the addictive behaviour. Along with that they are well aware that this addiction is disturbing them and needs to be addressed.
No matter what kind of treatment is suggested, all of them work towards one single goal. The goal enabling the individual to reconnect with the society, function effectively and live with dignity. For drug abuse treatment options, any of it, call us now on +919611194949.