Specific learning disability (SLD)A Child with SLD is able as any other child except in one of the areas of learning like difficulty to write (Dsygraphia) ,cope with.
Dsygraphia is difficulty in writing resulting in inaccurate and illegible writing . Dsygraphia exists in varying degree which does not match to the person's intelligence and ability to read.
Dyslexia is the difficulty with the use of both written and oral language .Dyslexia varies between individuals and can occur in people of all abilities; Most often people with dyslexia have distinctive talents as well as typical cluster of difficulties.
Dyscalculia is the difficulty with mathematical skills like addition, subtraction, Multiplication and mental arithmetic. People with dyscalculia also have difficulty with abstract concepts of time and direction, sequence of events. They may also have poor sense of direction and can get lost
- Struggling in keeping up with classmates and seeing themselves as no good or as stupid
- Difficulty to follow lessons
- Avoid doing school work
- Due to difficulty and inability self confidence dips down
- Proper identification of problem
- Support from special educator and family
Why to support a child with SLD
- Clarity when speaking : long and complex sentences or instructions should be avoided
- Get face to face with the person with sld .Making eye contact and talking their level helps
- Instructions should be one stage rather than two stages such as “put on your shirt” rather than “Put on your shirt and do up the buttons so we can go”
- Reduce clutter in a child's life . instead of lots of toys to play with give two or three at a time
- Encourage child with SLD to make clear choices such as ‘Would you like to play with the cat or rabbit'
- Individuals with SLD often experience low self esteem and so it is important to notice and reward efforts and successes even if they are small
- Help them develop non academic areas of competence such as sports , art or music that will provide the individual with a feeling of competence and promote