It is painful and overwhelming to see someone you love destroy their life due to an addictive behavior. Alcoholics usually tend to deny their addiction and only realize it when its negative effects have spread into almost all areas of life. Here the role of friends and family members can be effective in encouraging them for an early intervention to have with alcoholism. Many have the intention to help them Quit Drinking Alcohol but may not know how to do so. Here are a few ways you can know how to help an alcoholic quit their drinking habit.
Ways to help your loved one quit drinking alcohol:
- Get equipped: First, to help someone else you need to make sure you have enough knowledge about the issue. Learn the symptoms and effects. You can also consult a mental health professional to give you information about the available treatment options.
- Be honest: If you feel and are sure enough that someone close to you needs help, tell them. It is better than you tell them than some other person. Along with that show them that you are concerned about their condition and encourage them to get help. Remember that there is no use of ignoring their behavior and hoping that they will eventually get out of it.
- Involve others: Share your concerns about the individual to others who are important to him/her. This is a risky step but can be very effective, you need to be careful about whom to involve. Ask this individual to talk and encourage the alcoholic person for recovery.
- Encourage, not force: While showing your concerns there are chances that you might sound forcing them. You do need to show concerns but along with that let them make the decision for themselves. If you force, it might backfire. Also, do not agree for false promises of cutting off the habit. Encourage them for a professional treatment program.
- Be with them throughout: Once they agree and get in a treatment program, your role still continues. Show them encouragement and support while in the treatment also. It is at a stage that social supports are essentially needed as the journey becomes difficult for the individual.
- Be careful of how you behave with them: Make sure your statement of support and encouragement are not labeling the individual. There are also chances that they might want you to manipulate you and seek excuses to engage in the addictive habit. Here you need to be firm in your ground and be straightforward also keeping in mind not to discourage and blame them.
How to help an Alcoholic through professional treatment?
Helping an alcoholic to quit drinking alcohol can be a difficult journey and you need to constantly support them but also making sure they do not depend on you. It is also important that you take help for yourself when you feel overwhelmed. If you still feel lost on how to help someone with alcoholism, don’t worry.
At Cadabam’s Anunitha, we are here to help with best treatment options for alcohol abuse, call us now on +919611194949 and talk to our professionals.