Effective ways to reduce your alcohol consumption– Studies have always proven and doctors have always advocated that by reducing alcohol content you could live a long and a healthy life. But for a lot of us that it is a hard thing to achieve and on contrary we tend to consume large amounts of alcohol. The World Health Organisation (WHO) shows a statistics of how every year around 3.3 million people die from alcohol consumption and alcohol-related issues.
1. Add water to your drink: By reducing the strength of the alcoholic substance, you could enjoy the drink while making sure you consume in moderate amounts. Water down your liquor and try consuming it in this fashion.
2. Be aware of your consumption: By being aware of how much you drink, you make mental note of your consumption so you don’t go overboard. Find ways of reminding you of your consumption by noting down in your calendar how many times this week you consumed alcohol, you could even use your phone to do so.
3. Set limits: Limit yourself to how many days in a week you would consume alcohol and how many drinks you would have that day. Then weekly keep cutting down on either a number of drinks or the days you drink.
4. Pace and space: While consuming alcohol make sure you sip it slowly and not down the drink like water. Don’t order or make another drink for yourself soon after consuming your previous drink, wait for some time at least for an hour to consume your next drink. During that hour you could probably drink some water or other beverage of your choice which is non-alcoholic.
5. Consume some food: While spacing out your drink you could even consume some food as that would stop you from making your next drink or ordering your drink. Eating food also helps to absorb alcohol into your system slowly. And drinking on an empty stomach is always dangerous.
6. Find other alternatives: Develop and indulge in new, healthy activities. You could meet a friend or even, join a class or enjoy a hobby. During such times make sure you do not consume alcohol. Learn to distract yourself.
7. Avoid triggers: Avoid those people or places that encourage you to drink even when you don’t want to. Stop encountering those situations and people that trigger the urge for you to drink.
8. Learn to say no: This applies both to you and others. You’ll always be offered a drink and also meet people who would insist you to have a drink. You yourself would be tempted to drink and probably try to convince yourself for just one drink. Stop your thoughts that sway in that direction and say NO. Affirmatively and politely say “no, thanks” to others and stand your ground.
9. Seek professional help: When all else fails and you believe you cannot handle your alcohol consumption seek professional help. Our qualified mental health practitioner is more than equipped to help you with your drinking problem here at Cadabams. Cadabams Anunitha- the rehabilitation centre for alcohol provides rehabilitation facility for you to overcome your drinking problem. Which is purely based on evidence-based furthermore, the treatments and therapies will be provided as per the severity of the individuals with more care. Reach us at +91 96111 94949.