Be it any occasion or season, alcohol consumption and sales have always been prominent throughout the year. Many of us enjoy celebrating happy occasions at work or with family and friends with a quick drink. However, the occasional drink often becomes one too many and you have got a problem at hand. In such situations, we may experience adverse consequences of our own or someone else’s drinking.
As per the National Dietary Guidelines, women must limit themselves to 1 drink daily and 2 drinks daily for men. Consuming more than this level of alcohol can increase a person’s risk of liver disease, cardiovascular disease, or other such health problems. When a person begins to show alcohol dependence, they are often unable to stop drinking once they start.
If you or your loved ones face alcohol addiction and are wondering how to quit drinking alcohol, then you can connect with mental health professionals at Cadabam’s Hospitals. You could call our 24/7 helpline number 9741476476 to know more about treatment options available near you.
How to quit drinking? : The first steps
- Take some time to understand your relationship with alcohol, why you drink it as well as how much you drink it. How to stop drinking alcohol is a question that has no one right answer.
- It is important to finalize the approach you plan to use for your future. You could opt for ‘Moderation Management’ which focuses on reducing alcohol use. There is an emphasis on finding the best approach for your situation, not anyone else’s.
- You could also opt for complete sobriety, where you stop drinking altogether.
- After making a decision, talk to your loved ones and involve a licensed mental health professional. You could also seek a support group for additional motivation and encouragement.
- You could also choose to change your environment like getting rid of all the alcohol, not going to places where you frequently engaged in drinking, etc. These steps might help you stay clear about your goal.
- Prioritize your well-being, through self-care, journaling, or even trying new hobbies.
What happens if you quit alcohol?
If you resolve to stop drinking heavily and daily and heavily, then it is necessary to go through alcohol detox. Alcohol detox depends on factors, like how much you drink, how long you’ve been drinking, and whether you’ve gone through detox before.
Alcohol withdrawal syndrome is characterized by symptoms that an individual faces, when an alcohol-dependent individual, suddenly stops or drastically reduces drinking. One may experience a combination of physical and emotional symptoms from mild anxiety to other extreme symptoms. These include :
- After 6 hours one had his last drink one might face symptoms like nausea, vomiting, headache, or irritation.
- As the hours and days pass, the symptoms may worsen, including fever, hallucinations, a sudden increase in blood pressure, etc.
What is alcohol detox?
How to give up alcohol? Well, the first step to treating alcoholism is alcohol detox. During this period, alcohol is completely flushed from the body. Typically, withdrawal symptoms subside within approximately one to two weeks after starting detox; however, this could take a longer period of time, depending on the severity of the disorder.
One must also undergo therapy, counselling sessions, or even group support options for further help and guidance. Please note that complex procedures like alcohol detox should only be conducted and monitored by a medical professional.
What are the benefits of quitting alcohol?
Alcohol consumption can be detrimental to health. However, studies have shown huge benefits when drinking habits are curbed. These include :
- Improvement in body functions: Your liver starts working overtime due to continued alcohol dependence. However, the liver can repair itself and even regenerate. Cutting back on alcohol can lower your blood pressure, fat levels called triglycerides, and even chances of heart failure.
- Deep sleep - You start sleeping more deeply, causing your physical and mental energy to increase.
- Improvements in physical appearance - Your skin begins to look more youthful and dewy, which is caused by the restoration of hydration. Problems like dandruff, eczema, and rosacea also begin to improve.
- Helps to reduce weight - Often people consume fatty foods when drinking alcohol. By quitting, you reduce calories, both from the snacks as well as the drinks. The risk of throat and breast cancers reduces and you may also lose a significant amount of belly fat.
- Increase in savings - If you spent Rs. 500 at each happy hour, three times per week, at the one-year mark, you will have saved almost Rs. 78000. Cut back on the drinks, and save your money!
- Improved Relationships - Giving up drinking will let you focus on both personal and professional life. It may reduce depression and anxiety and also elevate your self-esteem.
Key Takeaway :
If you plan to walk on the journey to quit or curb your alcohol intake, then treat yourself kindly, since the entire process may take time. Reducing alcohol consumption can be extremely helpful to both mind and body. With the right treatment plans as well as professional guidance, it could lead to a healthier and happier life!